Learn the way to get the most effective reverse sear steak! Follow this tried and true recipe for tender, completely cooked steak with a crispy seared crust. Reverse sear steaks are thick-cut steaks which might be slowly baked at low temperature within the oven after which seared to perfection! It’s the proper fundamental course for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or anniversaries!
My recipe for reverse sear ribeye steak comes after numerous makes an attempt and experiments to make the most effective steak doable at house. We’ve lastly narrowed the recipe right down to get the most effective reverse sear steak constantly, and we’re excited to share the recipe with you!
We now favor the reverse sear methodology as our go-to approach for cooking steak and assume the outcomes are even higher than our native steakhouses.
Reverse Sear Steak – Time & Temperature Chart
Here’s a helpful time and temperature chart for reverse sear steaks (primarily based on 2.25 inch steaks):
These are approximate instances primarily based on thick-cut ribeye steaks measuring 2.25 inches thick and weighing 14oz every. Account for variations and regulate as wanted.
Carry-over cooking refers to continued cooking after elimination from the warmth supply. The quantity will depend on the dimensions of the steak and the baking temperature.
Thicker steaks baked at greater temperatures have extra carry-over cooking as a result of they maintain onto extra warmth. I like to recommend taking them out of the oven nearer to 12 levels F to account for that.
Thinner steaks baked at decrease temperatures have much less carry-over cooking as a result of they attain equilibrium sooner. I like to recommend taking them out nearer to five levels F.
What is reverse sear?
Reverse searing is a way used to prepare dinner steak constantly and evenly at low temperatures within the oven. The final and last step is to sear it in a sizzling forged iron pan to create a crispy, brown crust, therefore the identify reverse sear.
Advantages of Reverse Sear
The benefit of reverse seared steak is that you just get constant and even cooking on the steak whereas reaching a uniformly brown and crispy crust with out the grey band. In addition, you’ve the flexibleness of time since you’ll be able to go away the searing step for proper earlier than serving the steaks.
Additionally, by slowly cooking the steaks within the oven first, you keep away from sizzling spots and uneven cooking. Since they’re baked within the oven, you’ll be able to intently monitor the inner temperature of the steaks with a leave-in thermometer.
The last step is to reverse sear the steaks in a blazing sizzling pan to create a crispy brown crust. This step solely requires 45 seconds to 1 minute per aspect, making it doable to get an ideal sear with out the thick grey band you usually get in any other case.
Types of steak to reverse sear
You can reverse sear any thick-cut steak resembling ribeye, New York strip, filet mignon, T-bone, or porterhouse steak.
Choose steaks which might be at the least 1.5 inches thick and uniform in measurement and thickness for even cooking time.
Dry-aged steaks are a unbelievable selection for reverse searing as a result of they produce extremely tender, flavorful steaks.
For this recipe, I used thick-cut ribeye steaks that had been 2.25 inches thick and weighing 14oz every.
- Thick-cut steaks – I used prime rib eye steaks for this recipe however you need to use filet mignon, New York strip, T-bone, or porterhouse. Choose steaks which might be at the least 1.5 inches thick for finest outcomes.
- Sea salt – Use any grind of sea salt you’ve. This creates a juicy, completely seasoned steak.
How to Reverse Sear Ribeye Steak
- Pat dry: Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel. Place them on high of a wire rack set inside a baking sheet.
- Salt the steaks: Generously sprinkle sea salt on the entrance, again, and sides of the steak. You can bake them instantly or refrigerate the steak uncovered within the fridge for at the least 2 hours, as much as in a single day. This permits the steak to soak up the salt, seasoning it all through, thereby creating a superbly seasoned, juicy steak. If you’ve time, I extremely suggest leaving them in a single day.
- Bake the steaks on low: Preheat the oven anyplace from 225 levels F to 275 levels F. Going decrease than 225 levels F does not make a lot of a distinction within the last product, and it solely provides extra time. For bigger, thicker steaks, 275 levels F works effective, however for thinner steaks, I like to recommend baking at 225 levels F. Next, insert a leave-in thermometer into the thickest a part of the steak and insert it into the center rack of the oven. Frequently examine the temperature after quarter-hour. Remove the steak when it is 5 levels F to 12 levels F shy of the ultimate desired temperature.
- Reverse sear the steaks: Turn in your vary hood vent. Heat a forged iron skillet over excessive warmth and add the vegetable oil. Wait for the oil to begin to shimmer and it simply begins to smoke. Sear the back and front of the steak for 45 seconds to 1 minute on all sides till a darkish brown, crispy crust kinds. Try to not transfer the steaks round an excessive amount of when searing. If utilizing thicker cuts of steak, sear the perimeters as effectively.
The last end result would be the finest reverse seared ribeye steak you may make at house! The crispy, caramelized char on the skin crust is the proper complement to the tender, juicy, perfectly-cooked steak.
There is just about no grey band across the crust due to the reverse sear methodology, which creates a crispy, browned crust in merely 45 seconds if utilizing a correctly heated pan.
Reverse Sear Tips
Learn all about the way to reverse sear steak for tender, completely cooked steak with a crispy brown and seared crust. Thick-cut steaks are slowly baked at low temperature within the oven after which seared to perfection.
Bake on Low Heat
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven anyplace from 225°F to 275°F, relying on the dimensions of your steak. For thicker cuts of steak (2 inches or better), 250°F to 275°F work effective however for smaller cuts lower than 1½ inches thick, go for 225°F.
Bake: Keep the steaks on the wire rack inside a baking sheet for higher circulation. Insert a leave-in thermometer on the thickest a part of the steak and bake them at low warmth till they’re 5°F to 12°F shy of your required stage of doneness to account for carry-over cooking. See the entire Cooking Temperature Chart within the Notes beneath.Thicker steaks have greater carry-over cooking in comparison with thinner steaks. See Note 3. Note: I baked at 230°F, eliminated at 117°F, and located there to be about 10°F carry-over cooking for 14oz steaks measuring 2¼ inch thick.
Reverse Sear on the Stovetop
- Heat pan and oil: Remove the steaks from the oven. Heat the vegetable oil in a forged iron pan or heavy-bottomed pan over excessive warmth till the oil begins to shimmer and simply begins to smoke. Turn on the vary hood.
1 tablespoon excessive smoke level vegetable oil
- Reverse sear: Pat the steaks dry as soon as extra if wanted. Sear the back and front of the steak for 45 seconds to 1 minute on all sides till a golden brown, crispy crust kinds. For thicker steaks, sear the perimeters as effectively.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Steaks – Use any thick-cut steak resembling ribeye, New York strip, filet mignon, T-bone, or porterhouse. I like to recommend selecting steaks which might be at the least 1.5 inches thick. For this recipe, I used thick-cut ribeye steaks that had been 2.25 inches thick and weighed 14 oz every.
- High Smoke Point Oil – For reverse searing steak, use a excessive smoke level oil resembling avocado oil, peanut oil, or canola oil. This is necessary as a result of it lets you get the pan sizzling sufficient to get a superb sear with out creating plenty of smoke which in flip creates a burnt, bitter taste.
- Carry-over cooking: Expect a 5°F to 12°F enhance in temperature relying on the dimensions of your steak and your baking temperature.
Thinner steaks baked at decrease temperatures: Remove 5°F to 7°F shy of the ultimate temperature. They have much less carry-over cooking as a consequence of reaching equilibrium sooner.
Thicker steaks baked at greater temperatures: Remove 10°F to 12°F shy of the ultimate temperature. They maintain onto extra warmth and have greater carry-over cooking. Adjust as wanted.
Calories: 470kcal | Protein: 45g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 606mg | Vitamin A: 34IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 4mg
*Nutritional info is an estimate, calculated utilizing on-line instruments.
The cooking instances rely on the thickness of the steak and the baking temperature. For medium steaks measuring 2.25 inches baked at 225 levels F, it takes roughly 35 minutes.
The benefit of reverse-seared steak is that you just get constant and even cooking on the steak whereas reaching a uniformly brown and crispy crust with out the grey band. In addition, you’ve the flexibleness of time since you’ll be able to go away the searing step for proper earlier than serving the steaks.