Korean steamed eggs (gyeran jjim) is a scrumptious & straightforward aspect dish! Eggs are combined with water or broth then steamed till mild & fluffy! It’s additionally referred to as volcano steamed eggs due to their volcanic cone form and the steam that releases from the eggs.
What is Korean Steamed Eggs (Gyeran Jjim)?
Korean steamed eggs, additionally referred to as ‘Gyeran Jjim’ in Korea, is a scrumptious and straightforward Korean aspect dish that is made with eggs, water or broth, and seasoned with salt, sesame oil, and inexperienced onions.
‘Gyeran’ interprets to egg in Korean and ‘Jjim’ interprets to steamed, therefore the title Korean steamed eggs.
This egg aspect dish (banchan) will also be referred to as Korean volcano steamed eggs due to it is volcanic cone form and the steam that is launched throughout the cooking course of.
Steaming the eggs leads to the eggs increasing within the middle because it heats up and cooks.
It not solely does it lead to a powerful presentation nevertheless it provides you further fluffy, comfortable, and lightweight as air eggs which are completely tender.
- Eggs – I used massive natural, free vary eggs. As eggs are the principle ingredient, I like to recommend getting the very best eggs potential.
- Water or broth – Use broth for extra flavorful eggs. Anchovy broth or dashi are nice choices.
- Green onions – Green onions and eggs are a standard pairing in Korean delicacies.
- Sesame seeds and oil – Adds a beautiful nutty taste that enhances the eggs.
- Optional elements – Add finely chopped carrots, ham, or onions into the egg combination.
- Mix the eggs, water/broth, and salt till the whites and yolks are nicely mixed. Optional: For a finer texture, you possibly can pressure the combination.
- Pour the egg combination right into a small pot heated over medium warmth.
- Using a spoon, combine the eggs whereas scraping the underside and sides. You ought to begin to see the combination thicken up because the eggs prepare dinner.
- When the eggs are about 75% cooked, decrease the warmth and canopy with a domed lid or a warmth secure bowl to steam the eggs. Be positive there’s sufficient room for the egg to increase because it steams. After 2 to three minutes, it’s best to begin to see steam escaping from the duvet.
- Uncover and garnish with inexperienced onions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and pepper. The steamed eggs ought to be mild and fluffy. Serve instantly and revel in!
- Korean steamed eggs are historically cooked in an earthenware pot (ttukbaegi). If you do not have one, use a pot that holds onto warmth nicely, reminiscent of a heavy bottomed pot.
- When cooking the eggs, permit massive curds to kind to provide construction and assist to the steamed eggs. This helps cut back deflation.
- Lower the warmth earlier than steaming the eggs to forestall them from burning.
- The cowl ought to match tightly over the pot to permit for correct steaming.
- Serve instantly to benefit from the full peak of the steamed eggs! Some deflation is pure much like a soufflé.
To get the volcanic impact of the steamed eggs, the egg combination should refill about 75% of the pot and you have to use a canopy that is domed formed and permits room for growth throughout the steaming course of.
This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of egg combination and the pot I used holds about 2 cups of liquid.
Some deflation is pure much like a soufflé but when the eggs deflated instantly, it is probably as a result of overcooking and overheating.
Lower the warmth and steam for much less period of time subsequent time. When cooking the eggs, permit massive curds to kind to provide construction and assist for the eggs after they steam.
Chawanmushi incorporates a better liquid to egg ratio than gyeran jjim. Though each leads to comfortable, tender eggs, chawanmushi has a silkier texture as a result of extra liquid.
I hope you get pleasure from this recipe! Please share, charge, or remark under. I’d love to listen to from you!
Come discover me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram! Share your recipes by tagging @drivemehungry. I really like seeing your creations!
Thanks a lot for stopping by! 🧡
10 Minute Korean Steamed Eggs | Gyeran Jjim (계란찜)
Korean steamed eggs (gyeran jjim) is a scrumptious & straightforward aspect dish! Eggs are combined with water or broth then steamed till mild & fluffy! It’s additionally referred to as volcano steamed eggs due to their volcanic cone form and the steam that is launched from the eggs.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Broth – Use anchovy broth or dashi for extra taste. Adjust the salt in accordance in case your broth already incorporates salt. To make anchovy broth, boil water with anchovy seasoning packets.
- Steaming the eggs – Use a bowl or lid that matches tightly over the pot and permits room for growth because the eggs will increase as they steam.
- Serving – It’s essential to serve this instantly because it’s pure to see some deflation time beyond regulation, much like a soufflé. If the eggs deflate instantly, it could possibly be an indication of overcooking or the range being too sizzling. Try reducing the warmth and lowering the steam time.
- Volcano steamed eggs – For the volcanic cone form, it is important the egg combination fills up about 75% of the pot and to make use of a domed cowl that enables room for growth. I used a Korean earthenware pot that holds about 2 cups of liquid for this recipe. The egg combination totals about 1.5 cups.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 265mg | Potassium: 69mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg