Genoise sponge (additionally known as Genoese or Genovese cake) is a basic European sponge cake that is extremely fluffy and light-as-air! Slice into layers and add any filling of your option to create a scrumptious layer cake!
Genoise sponge is a tender and fluffy cake that is made with simply six easy elements. It is often served sliced and crammed with contemporary fruit, jam, and whipped cream.
Genoise Sponge Ingredients
Step by Step Photos
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a heat-proof bowl. Then place that bowl into a bigger bowl crammed with sizzling water. This known as a bain-marie and is used to create extra quantity when whipping complete eggs and help in dissolving the sugar.
- Using an electrical hand mixer, combine on excessive till it turns into mild and fluffy. The shade ought to begin to change from deep yellow to pale yellow.
- Once the quantity triples, test for the ultimate ribbon stage.
- Lift the whisk to test if the egg combination flows down like ribbons. It ought to be thick, fluffy, and really pale yellow. You ought to be capable to make a sample with the batter that continues to be seen for at the very least 3 seconds. Do not rush this step. It took me 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sift within the cake flour in three components, gently folding after every step.
- Do not over-mix. Stop when it is simply mixed.
- Before including the butter, combine about 3 heaping spoonfuls of the batter to assist incorporate it higher. The butter and batter ought to nonetheless be heat.
- Gently pour the butter combination into the batter.
- Fold the melted butter into the batter very rigorously. It’s very simple to deflate the batter at this level.
- Pour the batter right into a lined parchment pan and bake till golden brown and a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear.
Remove the genoise sponge from the pan and take away all of the parchment paper. Cool the cake utterly earlier than slicing it into even layers.
You’re now able to fill and prime your genoise with whipped cream and contemporary fruit reminiscent of strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries. Jam, compotes, or preserves are additionally nice choices. Enjoy!
Genoise Sponge Tips
Soft and Fluffy Genoise Sponge
Genoise sponge (additionally known as Genoese or Genovese cake) is a basic European sponge cake that is extremely fluffy and light-as-air! Slice into layers and add any filling of your option to create a scrumptious layer cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the underside and sides of the cake pan with parchment paper.
- Whip Eggs: In a big heat-proof bowl, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Place the bowl inside a bigger bowl crammed with sizzling water (bain-marie). Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs on excessive velocity till tender, fluffy, and pale yellow ribbons kind, about 8 to 10 minutes. Replace the recent water midway via because it cools down. See Note 1.
⅔ cup sugar, 4 eggs, ⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Remove air bubbles: Reduce to the bottom velocity and blend for 3 minutes to pop massive air bubbles.
- Add Flour: Sift within the flour in three components, gently folding after every time.
1 cup cake flour
- Add Butter: To assist incorporate the butter, combine 3 heaping spoonfuls of the batter into the warmed, melted butter. Next, gently fold the butter combination into the batter. See Note 2.
1 ¾ tablespoon butter
- Bake: Pour the batter into your cake pan and bake at 350°F till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. For one 9-inch spherical pan, about 25 minutes. For two 6-inch spherical pans, about 18 minutes.
Cool and slice: Remove all parchment paper and permit it to chill utterly on a cooling rack. Slice into even layers utilizing a leveler and prime with contemporary fruit and fill with cream. Enjoy! See Note 3 for the sugar syrup choice.
✎ Recipe Notes
I extremely suggest utilizing a kitchen scale and the metric measurements supplied for one of the best outcomes. Click on “Metric” beneath the elements listing to entry gram measurements.
- Whipping eggs: It is important the egg combination is heat to the contact and the sugar is utterly dissolved for this step, thus requiring a bain-marie. Replace with extra sizzling water because the water cools. See step-by-step images within the submit for the correct ribbon stage. If you are searching for a sponge cake that does not require a bain-marie, attempt my Easy Sponge Cake recipe.
- When including butter, it’s extremely simple to deflate the batter. Make positive the melted butter and batter are nonetheless heat. Cold temperatures will solidify the butter and deflate the batter. Fold very gently at this stage till simply mixed.
- Sugar syrup: Genoise sponge tends to dry out rapidly. I extremely suggest brushing on a sugar syrup so as to add moistness. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar with ⅓ cup of sizzling water. Use a pastry brush to flippantly coat every layer.
- Storage: If adorned and stuffed, cowl and retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Plain undecorated genoise sponge ought to be wrapped and saved in an hermetic container within the freezer for as much as 2 months for one of the best outcomes. Thaw in a single day earlier than adorning.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 124mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 196IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg