This simple cherry sauce is nice, tart, and ideal for topping a cheesecake, chocolate cake, and different desserts! Use any kind of cherries, contemporary or frozen, for this simple cherry topping! If you are on the lookout for a thicker model that can be utilized as a pie filling, attempt my cherry pie filling recipe.
Cherry sauce is the proper topping for any dessert, particularly cheesecake, chocolate cake, and ice cream! It’s the proper stability of candy and tart flavors and has a stupendous purple, shiny end.
Best of all, it is extremely simple to make and requires simply 4 components and ten minutes. This recipe works with all types of cherries, candy or bitter, and might be made with contemporary or frozen cherries!
- Mix collectively the cornstarch and water to create a cornstarch slurry.
- Heat a big pot over medium-high warmth and add the cornstarch slurry, cherries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir often to forestall burning.
- Once the sauce involves a boil, scale back the warmth and modify to style. Add extra sugar or lemon juice as wanted. Sour cherries might have extra sugar and candy cherries might have extra lemon juice.
- For a thinner sauce, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time till your required consistency is reached. Note: the sauce will thicken because it cools.
Ways to Use Cherry Sauce
- Topping for cheesecake – anticipate the sauce to come back to room temperature earlier than topping the cheesecake.
- Pound cake
- Chocolate cake and cupcakes
- Chiffon cake
- Sponge cake
- Ice cream
- Pancakes, waffles, crepes – serve the sauce heat on the aspect of those breakfast gadgets.
- Scones and muffins
- Savory dishes – Cherry sauce makes a fantastic substitute for cranberry sauce throughout the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and different holidays! Serve with rib roast, ham, roasted turkey, hen, or lamb, duck, or pork.
This simple cherry sauce is nice, tart, and ideal for topping a cheesecake, chocolate cake, and different desserts! Use any kind of cherries, contemporary or frozen, for this simple cherry topping!
- Cornstarch slurry: In a small bowl, combine collectively the cornstarch and water. Set apart.
1 Tablespoon cornstarch, ¼ cup water
- Cook cherries: Heat a big pot over medium-high warmth. Add the cherries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch slurry. Bring to a boil, stirring to keep away from burning.
1 lb pitted cherries, 3 to six Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Taste: Once the sauce thickens up, scale back the warmth and style. Adjust with extra lemon juice or sugar as wanted. Sour cherries might have extra sugar and candy cherries might have extra lemon juice. If wanted, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time till it reaches the suitable consistency. Note: sauce thickens after it cools.
- Serve: Wait for the sauce to succeed in room temperature earlier than topping chilly desserts like cheesecake and ice cream, or serve it heat over pancakes, truffles, and waffles. See Note 1 for storing.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Storing – To retailer, maintain in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 or 4 days. It will turn out to be thicker as soon as chilly.
- Microwave: Add the sauce to a microwave-safe container and warmth for 20 seconds at a time, stirring after every time.
- Stovetop: Add the sauce to a pot and reheat on medium warmth stirring often.
- Type of cherries – You can use candy or bitter cherries for this recipe. If utilizing bitter cherries, enhance the quantity of sugar to stability out the tart flavors. Keep in thoughts that contemporary cherries launch much less liquid than frozen cherries so you could want so as to add extra water to succeed in a thinner sauce if utilizing contemporary cherries.
Calories: 76kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 49IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg
I do not advocate freezing this sauce because the cornstarch will lose its integrity as soon as frozen and it’ll lose its viscosity. But you may make this 3 days upfront and reheat it on the stovetop of the microwave.