This is one of the best do-it-yourself Caesar salad recipe as a result of easy and simple to arrange and has all of the basic flavors! It’s made with crisp romaine lettuce, crunchy croutons, Parmesan cheese, anchovy, egg yolks, recent lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil!
Classic Caesar salad is filled with umami flavors from anchovies, Parmesan cheese, and Worcestershire sauce. The vibrant flavors of lemon juice and the creaminess of egg yolks stability out the umami flavors. To end, it is all tossed along with crisp romaine lettuce and topped with crunchy croutons and freshly cracked black pepper.
I based mostly this simple recipe on the tableside Caesar salads supplied at steakhouses the place the salad and dressing are ready and tossed proper on the desk. This made it simple to take a psychological word of all of the components and recreate this easy restaurant-style Caesar salad at residence!
- For the do-it-yourself Caesar dressing, add the egg yolks, minced garlic, freshly squeezed lemon juice, anchovy paste, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper to a mixing bowl. Next, whisk collectively till mixed.
- Then slowly drizzle the additional virgin olive oil whereas whisking to emulsify the dressing. If you see separation, hold whisking till mixed earlier than including the oil. It ought to have a thicker consistency now.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir to mix. Taste and season accordingly.
- For a elaborate presentation, lay the romaine leaves in a single layer and high with some croutons and a drizzle of dressing. Continue to construct up the layers and high with shaved Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Chicken Caesar salad – Add grilled hen or different protein like salmon or shrimp for a filling meal.
- Greens – Substitute romaine with iceberg lettuce, butterhead, little gems, or child kale.
- Pasta Caesar salad – Double the dressing and add a half serving of pasta.
- Make-ahead – Prep and dry the romaine leaves and retailer them within the fridge. Make the dressing earlier within the day however I like to recommend consuming it that very same day. Double the recipe to make an enormous batch for a gathering that is good for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and different holidays!
This do-it-yourself Caesar salad is easy and simple to arrange! It’s made with the basic components of Caesar salad together with romaine lettuce, croutons, Parmesan cheese, anchovy, egg yolks, lemon, garlic, and olive oil!
- Mix: Add the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice, anchovy paste, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper to a mixing bowl. Whisk collectively till mixed.
2 egg yolks, 2 cloves garlic, 1 ¾ Tablespoons lemon juice, 1 ½ teaspoons anchovy paste, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Add oil: Slowly drizzle within the olive oil whereas whisking vigorously. The dressing ought to thicken because it emulsifies with the oil. If you see separation, hold whisking till mixed earlier than including extra oil.
¼ cup further virgin olive oil
- Add cheese: Lastly, add the Parmesan cheese. Taste and modify with extra lemon juice and different seasonings to your liking.
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add the romaine leaves, croutons, and dressing to a big bowl and gently toss collectively. Portion out servings and serve with further Parmesan cheese, freshly cracked black pepper, and a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
3 cups croutons, freshly floor black pepper, lemon wedges
✎ Recipe Notes
- Egg yolks are historically utilized in basic Caesar salad dressing. I like to recommend utilizing pasteurized eggs that are eggs which have been heated of their shells to scale back the danger of food-borne sicknesses. You can learn extra concerning the course of right here. If you favor to not use egg yolks, you possibly can substitute them with mayo or yogurt, about 1 tablespoon per yolk. Note: Consuming uncooked or undercooked eggs could enhance your threat of food-borne sicknesses particularly if in case you have sure medical circumstances or are pregnant.
- Anchovy paste – Substitute with the identical quantity of anchovy fillets or use a small splash of fish sauce or Worcestershire sauce as a substitute. But begin gentle as it’s totally salty.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 193mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 5046IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg
*Nutritional info is an estimate, calculated utilizing on-line instruments.
Parmesan cheese is used both grated or shaved. I discover it has one of the best taste to enhance the dressing.
Romaine lettuce is used, particularly romaine hearts. They will be served as entire leaves or chopped.
Grilled or roasted hen, shrimp, pasta, or various kinds of lettuce reminiscent of iceberg, butterhead, little gems, and even kale.